Monday, January 19, 2009

Hugo !


This is Hugo ! On just about any given day he can be found traveling the course, either with a fellow employee or alone, in search of squirrels and geese to chase away.


As we make our way towards Spring Hugo will also be adding regular posts, accounts of his work and dedication to the golf course.
Hugo has a special story that I think needs to be shared. Last summer Hugo was injured while working on the golf course. My staff and I were gathered on the practice range installing fresh sod to our chipping green and to the face of the adjacent practice bunker. It was a hot, sunny day and Hugo climbed under a utility vehicle to find shelter from the blazing sun.
Quite some time had passed and one of my employees went to move the utility vehicle and Hugo was still under the frame. He attempted to climb out from under the vehicle, but became pinned and suffered a dislocation in the area around his pelvis. The dislocation and separation of his L7 vertebrate and Sacrum also damaged part of the nervous system that controls anal tone.
Hugo's injury required immediate surgery. I knew the surgery would be costly, but Hugo is perhaps the most well-known figures here at The Gauntlet and I knew the cost of surgery could be figured out later.
The weekend of his surgery, I had to make a trip back to my home state of Ohio and while I was gone, some fellow coworkers had planned a benefit tournament to help raise money for the surgery. The thought alone was heart-warming but less than one month later on June 7th, a Benefit Tournament was held. The support was breathtaking. Golf course patrons I had barely talked to before were there offering their support and wishing me a healthy and full recovery for Hugo. At moments, the feelings were overwhelming.
When all the emotions of support and joy of golf settled later that day, nearly all of Hugo's surgery cost would be raised through donations and support from employees, patrons and friends.
And while I know I couldn't say thank you enough on that day. I would like to take the time to say thank you once again for your support. And to those who might not know, Hugo has made a near full recovery and is back to running the course daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment